LOHF Nursing Scholarships
We are thrilled that you are interested in applying for a scholarship and we look forward to assisting you throughout the application process. Each year scholarships are awarded to deserving students who are beginning their nursing education, as well as students who are looking to advance their nursing careers, or obtain specialized certificates (such as School Nurse Certificate).
Scholarship Program Requirements:
- Applicants must be permanent residents of Lancaster County at the time of application, or working in healthcare in Lancaster County.
- Applicants must be already admitted to a nursing education program at time of application.
- Scholarships are for tuition costs only. Students eligible for 100% tuition reimbursement from employers are not eligible for this scholarship.
- By accepting a nurse education scholarship from LOHF, the scholarship recipient agrees to work full time in nursing in Lancaster County for one year for each year of scholarship support awarded; if this condition is not met, the scholarship recipient is required to pay back their scholarship award to LOHF. Written application may be made for an exception from this policy.
- Scholarship recipients who leave school after receiving a nurse scholarship will be required to pay back their scholarship awards to LOHF.
- If the scholarship recipient is granted a leave of absence, LOHF will allow the unspent balance of funds to remain in the student’s account for up to two years from the date of the leave approval.
Who is Eligible?
- Practical or registered nursing students who are residents of Lancaster County and attend one of the following schools in Lancaster County: Harrisburg Area Community College (Lancaster Campus), Lancaster Career and Technology Center, and PA college of Health Sciences.
- Licensed nurses who are residents of Lancaster County and attend any RN to BSN, BSN, master, post-master, or doctoral program, or certification classes (including but not limited to school nurse, lactation consultant, and others requiring education).
How to apply
- Applications for 2019 scholarship awards will open in March 2019 and close May 15, 2019. 2018 applications are closed as of 5:00 p.m., May 15, 2018.
- Our Nurse Scholarship Education Committee will review applications and identify finalists for interviews that will take place at our office in July. Recipients will be notified by mail in July 2018. Initial scholarship payments will be made to the nursing schools in August 2018.
- A reception to celebrate the nursing profession and current and past scholarship recipients will be held in September 2018, in the evening.
- Scholarships renew annually so long as the student remains in the program for which it was awarded.
- Individuals who have already received a nurse scholarship and wish to continue their nursing education in additional programs are encouraged to re-apply for an additional scholarship.
Current & Past Recipients:
2016 Scholarship Recipients:
- LOHF Board approved $60,000 to fund nurse scholarships in 2017.
- $17,583 is already committed to fund 7 previous scholarship recipients who are receiving multi-year scholarships.
- An additional $2,925 is available from 2016 Extraordinary Give donations. Thank you to our 35 donors who supported LOHF during the Extraordinary Give!
- An additional $500 is available through a donation from the Lancaster School Nurse Association and must be used to support an applicant seeking a School Nurse Certificate.
- Total funds available to award new scholarships in 2016 are $45,842.
Our nurse scholars are making a difference in our community every day. Since 2003, LOHF has provided tuition scholarships for Lancaster County nursing students whose work as nurses helps to strengthen the capacity of all healthcare professionals in our community. Each year scholarships are awarded to deserving students who are beginning their nursing education, as well as students who are pursuing advanced degrees.
- Since 2003, 206 scholarships have been awarded to local students.
- LOHF has invested $751,250 in the education of local nurses.
- Of the 206 scholarship recipients, 93% have fulfilled the program requirements and are working in Lancaster County health facilities.
- In 2016, we supported 9 RNs, 3 BSNs, 3 MSNs, 1 Ed.D., and 1 post-masters certificate in psychiatric nursing.
- $43,500 is currently pledged to these 17 nurses over the next 3 years as they complete their current education goals.
- Of the 17 nurses scholarship recipients we are currently supporting, 1 is a returning LOHF nurse scholar.
Realizing that learning never stops, we encourage our scholars to continue to apply for support as they grow in their profession so our community benefits from their knowledge and insight.
Our nurse scholars are making a difference in our community every day. Since 2003, LOHF has invested nearly $700,000 in the education of 193 nurses who can be found caring for our family members, friends and neighbors. Realizing that learning never stops, we encourage our scholars to continue to apply for support as they grow in their profession so our community benefits from their knowledge and insight.