LOHF Nursing Scholarships
(Please review the important information below before applying.)
We are thrilled that you are interested in applying for a scholarship and we look forward to assisting you throughout the application process. We award a limited number of scholarships to Lancaster County nursing students who are:
- Beginning their nursing education,
- advancing their nursing careers, or
- seeking specialized certificates (such as School Nurse Certificate), and
- preferably passionate about youth and children’s behavioral health.
Who is Eligible?
- Practical or registered nursing students who are residents of Lancaster County and attend one of the following schools in Lancaster County: Harrisburg Area Community College (Lancaster Campus), Lancaster Career and Technology Center, and PA college of Health Sciences.
- Licensed nurses who are residents of Lancaster County and attend any RN to BSN, BSN, master, post-master, or doctoral program, or certification classes (including but not limited to school nurse, lactation consultant, and others requiring education).
- Scholarships are for tuition costs only. Students eligible for 100% tuition reimbursement from employers are NOT eligible for this scholarship.
- Nurses who have already received an LOHF Nurse Education Scholarship, and wish to continue their nursing education in additional programs, are encouraged to re-apply for an additional scholarship.
Scholarship Program Requirements:
- Applicants must be permanent residents of Lancaster County at the time of application, or working in healthcare in Lancaster County.
- Applicants must already be admitted to a nursing education program at time of application.
- By accepting a nurse education scholarship from LOHF, the scholarship recipient agrees to work full time in nursing in Lancaster County for 1 year for each year of scholarship support awarded; if this condition is not met, the scholarship recipient is required to pay back their scholarship award to LOHF. Written application may be made for an exception from this policy.
- Scholarship recipients who leave school before completing their program may be required to pay back their scholarship awards to LOHF.
- If the scholarship recipient is granted a leave of absence by their school, LOHF will allow the unspent balance of funds to remain in the student’s account for up to two years from the date of the leave approval.
How to apply
- Applications for 2019 scholarship awards are now open. Applications are completed and submitted online only. Applications are due no later than May 15, 2019, at 11:59 p.m., at which time the submission platform will close.
- Our Nurse Scholarship Education Committee will review applications and identify finalists for interviews that will take place at our office in July. Award notifications will be issued by mail in July 2019. Initial scholarship payments will be made to the nursing schools in August 2019.
- A reception to celebrate the nursing profession and current and past scholarship recipients will be held in September 2019, in the evening. New and past recipients, their families, and the community are invited.
- Scholarships automatically renew annually, provided the student remains in the program for which it was awarded.
Our nurse scholars are making a difference in our community every day. Since 2003, LOHF has invested more than $835,000 in the education of 231 nurses who can be found caring for our family members, friends and neighbors. Realizing that learning never stops, we encourage our past scholarship recipients to continue to apply for support as they grow in their profession so our community benefits from their knowledge and insight.