LOHF Nursing Scholarships
Welcome to LOHF’s Nurse Education Scholarship Program! We are thrilled that you are interested in apply for a scholarship and we look forward to assisting you throughout the application process. Each year scholarships are awarded to deserving students who are beginning their nursing education, as well as students who are looking to advance their nursing careers.
Scholarship Program Requirements:
- Applicants must be permanent residents of Lancaster County at the time of application.
- Applicants must be already admitted to a nursing education program at time of award/application.
- Scholarships are for tuition costs only.
- By accepting a nurse education scholarship from LOHF, the scholarship recipient agrees to work full time in nursing in Lancaster County for one year for each year of scholarship support awarded; it this condition is not met, the scholarship recipient is required to pay back their scholarship award to LOHF. Written application may be made for an exception from this policy.
- Scholarship recipients who leave school after receiving a nurse scholarship will be required to pay back their scholarship awards to LOHF.
- If the scholarship recipient is granted a leave of absence, LOHF will allow the unspent balance of funds to remain in the student’s account for up to two years from the date of the leave approval.
Who is Eligible?
- Scholarships are available for students who attend LPN or RN nursing education programs at Lancaster County Career and Technology Center, PA College of Health Sciences, HACC-Lancaster Campus, Millersville University and Eastern Mennonite University (Lancaster).
- Scholarships are available for students who attend a BSN program, RN to BSN program, master, post master, and doctoral nursing program, and certification classes, including but not limited to school nurse, lactation consultant, and others requiring additional education.
- Only students enrolled in RN to BSN, master, post master and doctoral nursing program are eligible for scholarships for remote learning programs.
How does the Scholarship Program Work?
- A complete online application is due no later than May 27, 2016 and can be found by going to our website, lohf.org/scholarships.
- Our Nurse Scholarship Education Committee will review applications and identify finalists for interviews that will take place at our office in July, 2016. Award recipients will be notified by mail in July 2016. Initial scholarship payments will be made to the nursing schools in August, 2016.
- Scholarships last for the full education period of the program if the student remains in the program.
- Individuals who have already received a nurse scholarship and wish to continue their nursing education are encouraged to re-apply for an additional scholarship.
To apply, please click below.
2015 Scholarship Recipients:
This year, LOHF will invest $60,000 in the education of 27 local nursing students attending 11 different nursing schools. Learn more about this year’s recipients here.
Our nurse scholars are making a difference in our community every day. Since 2003, LOHF has invested nearly $700,000 in the education of 193 nurses who can be found caring for our family members, friends and neighbors. Realizing that learning never stops, we encourage our scholars to continue to apply for support as they grow in their profession so our community benefits from their knowledge and insight.
2014 Nurse Scholarship Recipients
- 1 LPN, 5, RN’s, 4 BSN’s, 4 MSN’s, 3 Ph.D.’s
- $57,764 pledged to these 17 nurses over the next 3 years as they complete their current educational goals
- Of the 17 scholarship recipients, 2 previously received a Lancaster Osteopathic Health Foundation scholarship
- They represent the following nursing schools:
- Lancaster County Career and Technology Center
- Harrisburg Area Community College
- Eastern Mennonite University
- PA College of Health Sciences
- Millersville University
- The Pennsylvania State University
- Aspen University
- Drexel University
- Cappella University
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania
Nurse Education Scholarship Program Facts:
- Since 2003, 179 scholarships have been awarded to local students.
- The Lancaster Osteopathic Health Foundation has invested $633,201 in the education of local nurses.
- Of the 179 scholarship recipients, 93% have fulfilled the program requirements and are working in Lancaster County health facilities.
Breakdown of Degrees Awarded:
- 58 Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN)
- 69 Registered Nurses (RN)
- 17 Bachelor of Science Bridge Program Degrees (RN-BSN)
- 17 Bachelor of Science Degrees(BSN)
- 12 Master of Sciences Degrees (MSN)
- 3 PhDs
- 1 Doctoral of Nurse Practioner (DNP)
- 2 School Nurse Certificates (SNC)